Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Video In the Midst of Militarization and Homophobia [Is that comic relief?]

There we are, with Teheran indulging in nuclear testing while the good old West is now worried, oh-so-utterly-worried for its safety. Did you hear the latest about Guantanamo not closing down? The best part is about how closing down the base "imperils the safety of American people. The American people don't want these men walking the streets of America's neighborhoods," says Senator John Thune, "The American people don't want these detainees held at a military base or federal prison in their backyard, either."

Somebody please shoot me right now!!

And who's been following up on Aung San Suu Kyi?

Yes, I'm in a foul mood, and I've been in a foul mood. May be I should stop following up on militarization when I'm in a foul mood. Did I mention the number of dead in Pakistan this week?

Anyway, this week witnessed the International Day Against Homophobia-- whatever that means? I'm still very confused. What about trans-phobia? Is there a day for that as well? And what about queer-phobia?? But then being queer-phobic simply means being right-wing, conservative and patriarchal, doesn't it? Anyway, I am very ambivalent about the entire day against homophobia thing. There's something in the political agenda that seems totally amiss... Somehow... and it's almost like a terrible itch bothering the soles of my feet right now. Shall think it through and write more later.

Nevertheless, after the fiasco of the failed gay-pride in Moscow over the past week-end, and all the arrests that ensued etc., it is my duty to leave you with a video before I head back to work (yes, it's been the longest term of my life ever, I don't think I've ever worked so much in my entire life, I have a feeling I'll never be on holidays, I feel dead inside, I feel dead outside, and yes, that was my two cents' worth of rant!!) The video is a re-make of Lily Allen's Fuck You song and was made by a bunch of French folks for the International Day Against Homophobia (which seems pretty much a French thing so far, but coincided with the events in Moscow, so that's a good thing.) I find this video much more enjoyable than the original.

Oh as well, for those who asked, click on this link for a 3 minute reportage from the Canadian forces on how they brought Tim Hortons to Afghanistan.


P.S: Hopefully, next time I'll post, I'll be on holidays.

No comments: