Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"In fact, there is nothing simple about Mauritian identity."

I am reading this book by Miriam Pirbhai who is a Professor of English and Film Studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. The book (link here) is called Mythologies of Migration, Vocabularies of Indenture (University of Toronto Press, 2009), and it reached my mailbox yesterday morning and I've had my nose deep in it since the moment I opened it. And as I read about my own island, my own history, my own ancestry, as I let a ghost take possession of me and I get taken back to my native island-- where I spent the first 18 years of my life-- in the Indian Ocean, I come across this line:

"In fact, there is nothing simple about Mauritian identity." (Page 45)

I laughed out loud... I laughed and laughed thinking it was the most amusing line I ever read. And then, I cried, a bit, too. Indeed, there is nothing simple about Mauritian identity.

No comments: